Monday, November 11, 2013

I am not known for my internet-researching skills.  With my limited skills, I found that the college holds the pond as a key aspect of the biology departments resources.  Apparently the pond has painted turtles, spring peepers, and bluegills.  Good gracious.  I find it difficult to believe that anything really lives in the water.  I can see from my room that the water is probably not conducive to many forms of life.   It was difficult to find much else on the pond, other than the lovely flickr photos.  
As I live right above Lindeman Pond, I see it every day.  While I see it everyday, that does not mean I am consciously aware of it. 
Awhile ago, I woke up one day and decided to wake myself up further by opening the blinds and looking out at the sun.  This was a poor choice for my eyes.  While it was a poor choice for my already wretched eye-sight, it made me aware of my surroundings.  I looked down from the window and saw a big mass of water.  I couldn't remember seeing it before.  My roommate found my sub-par observation skills rather amusing.  I have driven and walked by Lindeman Pond but never actually been mindful of what it was.  I had even been on the ropes course and been acquainted with the mosquitoes which breed there in the summer.  Yet, I had never actually processed that the pond existed.  Maybe because I don't think the pond is a pond.  It looks like an overgrown puddle.  My theory is that the "pond" is manmade.    
This overgrown puddle does have the aspects one thinks of when a puddle comes to mind.  It doesn't seem to have that "aesthetically pleasing" beauty; which is interesting because it is man-made.  While it is a bit of a sight for sore eyes, it is a source of knowledge and enjoyment for the school.  People kayak on the pond, they run past it on their morning jog, and see it when they are on the ropes course.  While I am not a nature girl, I see the benefits this "pond" has on our campus.  It may  not be immediately beautiful, but beauty isn't the only purpose something can have in life.  The pond serves as a resource for students, and that is what makes it beautiful.    


No comments:

Post a Comment